Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception
(Saint Mary’s Church)
About 1825 Carroll had a small mission church built on site of present old school. His granddaughters in 1853 conveyed the property to the Redemptorists, who opened a Novitiate in the house and founded St. Mary’s Parish. St. John Nepomucene Neumann (1811 – 1860) blessed cornerstone and original bell of current church, May 13, 1858. Adjoining Monastery, begun 1859, was long a major Redemptorist training center and base for extensive missionary work in eastern United States and Canada. Pastor here during the Civil War was Father Francis Xavier Seelos (1819 – 1867), whose cause for Canonization was introduced 1903.
Shrine in church honors one of three first copies of the Venerated in 1906 icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to come to America (1868).
In 1906 Charles Adams Zimmerman (1861 – 1916), while longtime Naval Academy Bandmaster
Erected 1978 by International Order of the Alhambra, Mora Caravan No. 105.
Location. 38° 58.505′ N, 76° 29.268′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Duke of Gloucester Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Charles Carroll House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City" (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Annapolis (about 700 feet away); This tablet (about 700 feet away); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roger W. Moyer (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alfred A. Hopkins Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Also see . . . St. Mary's Parish. The property on which St. Mary’s Church and Rectory are located was given to the Redemptorists in 1852 by four granddaughters (Submitted on May 19, 2012.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the front of the church building. • Can you help?