Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 17, 2012
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. The First Presbyterian Church once stood here. It was a handsome building with a lofty ceiling, vestibule and three sided gallery. The lot was one-half acre in size, cost $110 and was bounded by Troup, West and Crawford Streets. The congregation was large and also wealthy. During 1861-1865 daily prayers were offered and the pastor, Col. James E. Dunlop, organized a company that fought valiantly in the Confederate Army. The Church was burned to the ground on Sunday morning Sept. 20, 1874, with the bell tolling the funeral knell.
 
Erected by Works Progress Administration. (Marker Number 84 J-8.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 30° 54.308′ N, 84° 34.594′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of South West Street and Troupe Street, on the left when traveling north on South West Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Camino Real
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 17, 2012
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
West Street is to the left, and Troupe Street in the foreground. West Shotwell Street (US 84 Business) is in the distance, one block south.
(about 400 feet away); The Bainbridge Volunteers (about 400 feet away); De Soto Trail (about 500 feet away); Decatur County (about 500 feet away); Camp Recovery (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
 
More about this marker. The marker was erected in the late 1930s.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 332 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement