Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
March 9, 1818, Gen. Andrew Jackson arrived here with his staff and troops of the Georgia Militia. He was joined by Kentucky and Tennessee militiamen, who had marched through Alabama. At Fort Scott Jackson concentrated troops for his march into Spanish Florida against Indians who had been raiding U.S. territory. He took with him the force at Fort Scott, excepting 60 men left as garrison. Following Jackson’s campaign the garrison largely consisted of companies of the 7th Regiment. Frontier peace and increase of malaria probably account for the abandonment of Fort Scott in September 1821.
Erected 1962 by Georgia
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 46.148′ N, 84° 44.065′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Hutchinson Ferry Road (Georgia Route 97 Spur) and Wingate Road, on the left when traveling north on Hutchinson Ferry Road. Touch for map. The marker is at the Jack Wingate Fishing Lodge. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39819, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Recovery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Joshua Davis House (approx. 5.6 miles away in Florida); Ira Sanborn (approx. 5.6 miles away); Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 7.3 miles away in Florida); Charles James Munnerlyn / “Refuge” (approx. 7.4 miles away); a different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 7.6 miles away in Florida); Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia / Reuben Arthur Reynolds (approx. 7.6 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 7.6 miles away in Florida).
Regarding Fort Scott. The site of Fort Scott is now under the waters of Lake Seminole, created by damming
Categories. • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 20, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 5. submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.