Sparta in Hancock County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1995 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 070-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 16.767′ N, 82° 58.619′ W. Marker is in Sparta, Georgia, in Hancock County. Marker is on Jones Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 822 Jones Street, Sparta GA 31087, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sparta Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pierce Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Eagle Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hancock County Sparta (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockby (approx. 2.4 miles away); Nathan S.S. Beman at Mt. Zion (approx. 5.6 miles away); Gov. William Jonathan Northen (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sparta.
1. "Old Dominion" Marker
Old Dominion was one of the architecturally most important houses in Sparta.* The house had been deteriorating since the 1920s, and finally collapsed in the early 1980s. The site became an industrial park.
The original marker was removed shortly after the house vanished, and as of 2011 it had never been replaced. Apparently now, 30 or so years after the house collapsed, it has.
(* Both John Rozier's book on "The Houses of Hancock: 1785-1865" and Prof. John Linley's book, "Architecture of Middle Georgia The Oconee Area" agree on this point.)
— Submitted May 21, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 21, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. 2. submitted on August 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on May 21, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on August 9, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.