Grayslake in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Story of This Land
The younger Charles ventured into the business world when he purchased the Harley Darby milk route in 1925 and founded the Grayslake Dairy. In addition to the milk produced by the cows, housed on the farm, milk was purchased from nearby farms. Local men were hired to work in the processing plant and to deliver the milk. The milk, cream, and eggs were delivered to Grayslake housewives each day. The building in which the processing was done was a former bunkhouse of the closed canning factory. The dairy ceased operation about 1936, but the land continued to be a dairy farm.
The farm remained in the family until 1967 when it was sold to John Epstein of Grayslake Gelatin Company. The Grayslake Park District started Central Park when it acquired 14.67 acres of the farm in 1979. Forty more acres were purchased in 1991. The former farm also includes the library, the Middle School and the skate park.
Erected by Grayslake Park Foundation.
Location. 42° 20.862′ N, 88° 2.34′ W. Marker is in Grayslake, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on Central Park 0.2 miles west of Library Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grayslake IL 60030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 164 Hawley (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Andrew Church Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Dragoljub Mihailovich (approx. 4.6 miles away); Serbian Orthodox Monastery of St. Sava (approx. 4.6 miles away); Cook Memorial Library (approx. 6 miles away); The Mother Rudd Barn (approx. 6.4 miles away); Andrew C. Cook House (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Rondout Train Robbery (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grayslake.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.