Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Oblate Sisters of Providence
July 2, 1829
Begun in 1828, Saint Frances Academy, the oldest continuing educational facility for black children in the United States, was moved to this site under the direction of Mother Mary Lange and the Oblate Sisters
Erected 2000 by Martin O'Malley and the Citizens of Baltimore.
Location. 39° 17.738′ N, 76° 37.569′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on George Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The current status of George Street as a street is somewhat dubious. It is unclear whether vehicular traffic is permissible. Visitors are advised to park on a nearby street, perhaps St. Mary Street or Orchard Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 George Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Seminary (about 700 feet away); Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple (about 700 feet away); Perkins Square Gazebo (about 700 feet away); Mother Seton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Orchard Street Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Western District Station House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Also see . . . Mother Mary Elizabeth Lange. A biographical sketch. (Submitted on February 21, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,673 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 20, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.