Tilden in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Farm in Chippewa County
(Located directly southwest of this Tilden Fire Station)
The embryo 80-acre farm was composed of prairie, timberland and a fresh spring. Here the pioneer farmer of Chippewa County broke ground for corn, wheat and other products. Within a short time he built a comfortable log cabin, married a woman he met from the area, and cultivated highly productive acres that were the envy of the whole surrounding countryside.
In the 1850's William Henneman (later to become Chairman of Chippewa County's first Commission form of government) purchased the farm.
Marker Sign #17
Erected by Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 17.)
Location. 44° 59.266′ N, 91° 27.126′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at the Tilden Town Hall and Fire Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10790 100th Avenue, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Peter's Catholic Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pioneer Norwegian Log Home (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sunny Valley School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bear Den Road Bridge (approx. 3˝ miles away); William Irvine (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Memory of Old Abe (approx. 3.7 miles away); Irvine Park Drive Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Town of Tilden. The Town of Tilden’s history. (Submitted on May 22, 2012.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.