Your search returned just one marker . . .
Scotland in Bon Homme County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The History Of Scotland Academy
In 1880 Reverend-Doctor Harlan P. Carson, Synodical Missionary for Dakota Territory, arrived from Illinois. In 1886 he established Scotland Academy for pioneering settlers in Bon Homme and surrounding counties to support the two Christian crusades of the Presbyterian Church. The Academy occupied the entire 200 block fronting Fourth Street and consisted of the Academy School, dormitory and boarding hall, coalhouse, and out-house. The houses at 211 and 221 housed ministers and staff. The staff of four provided four courses of study: Classical Curriculum for college or university matriculation, Business Course for clerical or business employment, Teachers Course for primary teachers, and Music Course for full and part-time enrollees. All studies included Christianity and conversion. Enrollment ranged from 12 to 65 students: support was provided by tuition and donations from Eastern Presbyterian benefactors. Construction of free public high schools and severe financial problems closed the Academy on June 11, 1898, and it merged with Pierre University into Huron College and Academy. The campus was sold and used as a hospital and as J. McAthie’s pop factory: in 1915 it reopened for a few years at the Dutch Reformed Academy. Many still know this area of town as Presbyterian Hill.
By Roger Dean Meyer, July 30, 2006
1. The History Of Scotland Academy Marker
Erected by Mrs. Linda M. Kluthe, Chairperson, Scotland Historic Preservation Commission and South Dakota Department of Transportation.
Location. 43° 9.205′ N, 97° 42.977′ W. Marker is in Scotland, South Dakota, in Bon Homme County. Marker is on Fourth Street (State Highway 25) 0.1 miles north of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scotland SD 57059, United States of America.
More about this marker. Partially obscured by trees, but it is visible from the road.
Also see . . . Early History of The Presbyterian Church in South Dakota. from the 1904 History of South Dakota by Doane Robinson. (Submitted on October 1, 2006.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,878 times since then and 59 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 29, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.