Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church

 
 
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 4, 2012
1. Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on July 16, 1867, with the Reverend Isaac Davis serving as the first pastor. The Board of Trustees of the oldest black congregation in Gainesville purchased the lot on which the present church still stands for $160 from Charles W. Brush. He sold lots after the Civil War mainly to African American individuals and institutions in what is now the Pleasant Street Historic District. The founding trustees were Lojurn Davis, Alexander Hamilton, Ethan Daniels, Henry Roberts, William Anderson, Adam Dancy, Shadrach Abendnego, Robert McDuffie and Dr. McDowell. Mount Pleasant soon became a social and religious center for the neighborhood. The first Florida Annual Conference that brought together Methodist churches with black congregations was held at Mount Pleasant in 1874, while the Reverend Alexander DeBose was pastor. The original wood frame building was replaced in 1887 with a brick structure, which was destroyed by fire in 1903. The present church, built of red brick in the stately Romanesque revival style, was completed in 1906 and is noted for its beautiful stained glass windows. In 1968, the congregation was renamed the Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church.
 
Erected 2006 by A Florida Heritage Site The Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church and
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church and Marker, along NW 2nd Street, looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 4, 2012
2. Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church and Marker, along NW 2nd Street, looking north
the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-585.)
 
Location. 29° 39.463′ N, 82° 19.602′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on NW 2nd Street near NW 7th Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 NW 2nd Street, Gainesville FL 32601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Great Endurance Run" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roper Park / Old City Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Josiah T. Walls (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bailey House (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Gainesville (approx. 0.4 miles away); East Florida Seminary (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church Cornerstones image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 4, 2012
3. Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church Cornerstones
Mount Pleasant
M.E. Church
Nov. 18, 1904
(Lower)
Laid May 10th
1887
P. McCray
Pastor in charge
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 4, 2012
4. Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church cemetery
The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established by the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church as a final resting place for its members and other African Americans in the city of Gainesville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement