Edina in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Cahill School
The Cahill Settlement was one of the early communities in the western half of Richfield Township. It was established in the 1850s by Irish immigrants fleeing famine in their native Ireland.
During the years of 1846, 1847 and 1848, the entire potato crop failed in Ireland. An estimated 1.5 million people died of starvation during the famine years. The pioneer families of the Cahill Settlement were among the 750,000 Irish emigrants that came to the United States during this period.
The community found its focal point at the junction of Cahill Road and West 70th Street in southwest Edina. Three buildings were erected at this intersection — the Cahill School, St Patrick's Catholic Church, and the Cameron Store which also served as the post office. The community was named for Father Thomas Cahill, an early missionary priest in Minnesota.
On June 27, 1864, Hugh Darcy deeded two acres of land to the Directors of School District No. 16 for school purposes. The property was on the southeast corner of Cahill Road and West 70th Street. The selling price was $5.00. A wood frame schoolhouse was built on this site in 1864.
The Cahill School is typical of the classic one-room schoolhouse of 19th century, rural America. The building's form and proportions, as well as
Its plan is similar to one recommended by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Strict segregation of the sexes was observed with separate entrances for boys and girls.
Originally located at the center of the Cahill Settlement, this one-room schoolhouse was an important part of daily life in early Edina. During the school day, an average of 30 students in the first through eighth grades attended class. After school, the building served as a social center for the community, accommodating weddings, dances, theatricals, village elections and other community events.
Until 1884 the building was used as a chapel by St. Patrick's Catholic Church. The congregation had outgrown their first church, a log structure built in 1857 on the northwest corner of West 70th Street and Wooddale Avenue. From 1933 to 1938 Calvary Lutheran Church also held services at the school.
Built in 1864, the Cahill School was in continuous classroom use until 1958. In 1969 the building was acquired by the City of Edina and moved to its present site.
Restoration of the Cahill School was based on thorough historical and architectural research. The exterior of the school has been returned to its appearance
Inside, the school has been restored with appropriate furnishings of the period — old-fashioned school desks, hand slates, a wood-burning stove, kerosene lamps, and turn-of-the-century McGuffey Readers.
Today, the Cahill School is a living history museum where school children of all ages can relive the experience of attending a one-room country school. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, it is the oldest building in Edina.
Location. 44° 54.642′ N, 93° 20.982′ W. Marker is in Edina, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. Marker is on Eden Avenue west of Grange Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at Frank Tupa Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4924 Eden Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Minnehaha Grange Hall ( here, next to this marker); Como–Harriet Streetcar Line ( approx. 2.3 miles away); First School House ( approx. 2.3 miles away); Geology of Minnesota ( approx. 2.3 miles away); Harriet Bandshells / Our Park Legacy ( approx. 2.4 miles away); The Crash of Flight 307 ( approx. 2.7 miles away); PFC. Jimmy Berray ( approx. 3.2 miles away); Richfield Pioneer Homestead ( approx. 3.8 miles away).
More about this marker.
[photo captions, clockwise, east side]
• St. Patrick's Catholic Church, c. 1906
• Cahill School on original site, c. 1930
• Recommended plan for rural schoolhouse, c. 1860
• Interior of typical rural schoolhouse, c. 1900
[photo captions, clockwise, west side]
• Cahill School on original site, c. 1935
• National School Primer from 1864 found in school during restoration
• St. Patrick's Catholic Church, c. 1857
Also see . . . City of Edina. Cahill School. (Submitted on May 30, 2012.)
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.