Weaverville in Buncombe County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
College, 1873; Methodist,
coeducational. In 1934
merged with Rutherford
to form Brevard College.
Campus was one block W.
Erected 1992 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number P-74.)
Location. 35° 41.612′ N, 82° 33.778′ W. Marker is in Weaverville, North Carolina, in Buncombe County. Marker is on Merrimon Avenue (Business U.S. 19/23) near Brown Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Merrimon Avenue, Weaverville NC 28787, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zebulon B. Vance (approx. 1.1 miles away); Brothers In Service (approx. 3.8 miles away); David L. Swain (approx. 4½ miles away); Francis Asbury (approx. 4½ miles away); Joseph Lane (approx. 4½ miles away); Bingham School (was approx. 5.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Battle of Asheville (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Asheville (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
Regarding Weaver College. Weaverville College was chartered in 1873 to offer
In 1912 the school was renamed Weaver College and the change made from four-year to junior college status. Preparatory classes continued to be offered. The college from the outset was coeducational. Student activities revolved around literary societies and the sports programs. Graduates of Weaver include North Carolina Chief Justice Walter H. Stacy, Congressman Zeb Weaver, and University of North Carolina Professor Hugh T. Lefler.
The Western North Carolina Conference decided in 1933 to merge Weaver College and Rutherford College to create a single coeducational Methodist junior college on the grounds of the old Brevard Institute. In the fall of 1934 thirty Weaver students and five faculty members moved to Brevard College. Today Brevard continues to preserve the earlier institutions through the Weaver Room of the library and plans for a Weaver College Bell Tower. In Weaverville three structures remain from the original campus, the 1874 Administration Building, now used as a Masonic Temple, and two dormitories.(North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Also see . . . Dry Ridge: Some of it's History, Some of It's People. 1962 book by Nell Pickens on Amazon.com. The magnificent old buildings which once housed Weaver College are now mostly history. Only one or two are left standing on the beautiful property which was at one time a thriving college campus. You’ll find more in this book. (Submitted on October 3, 2012, by Virginia Gill Gambill of Hendersonville, North Carolina.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.