Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Deer in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hotel at White Deer

 
 
Hotel at White Deer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
1. Hotel at White Deer Marker
Inscription. The White Deer Land Company, a trustee for court-ordered land sales in this area, established the White Deer Demonstration Farm in the 1890s. About 1909 this frame four square structure was built to board prospective land buyers. Marvin Hughes bought the building in 1913 and it became a hotel. Subsequent owners included the Goodner family in 1929, and E. L. Colgrove in 1944. The structure has served as a boardinghouse, apartments, and a private residence.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1994

 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2577.)
 
Location. 35° 25.991′ N, 101° 10.315′ W. Marker is in White Deer, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West 4th Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Deer TX 79097, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Deer ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jackson General Store ( about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church
Hotel at White Deer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
2. Hotel at White Deer Marker
( approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana ( approx. 1.4 miles away); Terminus of the Santa Fe Railroad ( approx. 12.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement