Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers
In the 1905-1906 winter, the Simms Brothers used mule-drawn plows and walked from Washburn (18 mi. SW) to Higgins (115.4 mi. NE), constructing a 4-furrow railway fireguard. John Sparks, an early local teacher and a Simms brother-in-law, worked with them and led the group in gospel singing at nightly campfires. Also in the crew were Jim Calhoun and John Sterling.
Family land ownership was preserved. Years later, oil and industry brought great prosperity to this region. A fourth generation now lives on the land.
Frank Simms married Minnie Pugh Williams; George married Alice Jane King; and Dormer married Gertrude Talbot. Descendants are leaders in Texas business.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey
Location. 35° 20.767′ N, 101° 22.81′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (Route 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue, Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Dugout (here, next to this marker); The Square House (a few steps from this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (a few steps from this marker); Temple Lea Houston (a few steps from this marker); Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (within shouting distance of this marker); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carson County (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.