Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Scott Memorial

 
 
Fort Scott Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
1. Fort Scott Memorial Marker
Inscription. This monument was originally located in Land Lot Number 224 in the 21st District of Decatur County, Georgia, 16 miles southwest of Bainbridge and on the site of Fort Scott built in 1816 and abandoned in 1821.

It was removed to its present location on account of the Fort Scott site being inundated by Jim Woodruff Reservoir.
 
Location. 30° 54.483′ N, 84° 34.721′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is on West Jackson Street 0 miles west of North Florida Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The monument stands in J.D. Chason Park, at the site of Fort Hughes. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History (here, next to this marker); The Second Creek War and Removal in the Decatur County Area (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Fowltown (within shouting distance of this marker); Decatur County During the Creek and Seminole Wars Era (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Seminole War in Decatur County
Fort Scott Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
2. Fort Scott Memorial Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Hughes (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Decatur County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bainbridge Volunteers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
 
Regarding Fort Scott Memorial. Three 32 pound cannon were obtained from Fort Clinch, Florida, in 1882 to mark the sites of Fort Hughes, Fort Scott, and Camp Recovery. The Fort Scott cannon was moved to J.D. Chason Park when the Jim Woodruff Reservoir was constructed in 1952.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWars, US Indian
 
Fort Scott Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
3. Fort Scott Memorial Marker
The 32 pound cannon marking the site of Fort Hughes is in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement