Hereford in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Deaf Smith Courthouse
Brick with marble veneer and interior. Second marble courthouse built in U.S.
Cost was $125,000. After hotly-contested bond issue election, Judge John Slaton and winners paraded down Main Street behind the band.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1196.)
Location. 34° 49.073′ N, 102° 23.878′ W. Marker is in Hereford, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on East 3rd Street west of Schley Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just to the right of the courthouse entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Hereford TX 79045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deaf Smith County (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Windmill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); P.O.W. Camp Chapel (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (approx. 5.5 miles away); Town of Dawn (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.