Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1827 the Fanny was the first of more than 220 steamboats to visit Bainbridge and ply the waters of the Apalachicola-Chattahoochee-Flint river system. These boats docked at the city's landings below the high bluff on the Flint River. Boatyards on both sides of the river built craft for individuals and the U.S. Government. Several steamboat lines operated here including the Oak City Navigation Co. (later known as the Bainbridge Navigation Co.), which was organized in 1901 and the Callahan Line, which was formed in 1906. The last working steamboat on the Flint River was the Elberta, which went out of service in the late 1930’s.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Between Columbus, Georgia and Apalachicola, Florida many steamboat landings dotted the riverbanks. Smaller boats navigated Spring Creek, the Chipola River and the Flint River to Newton and Albany. In addition to passengers, the boats hauled cotton, rosin, turpentine, fertilizer, lumber, oysters, catfish, honey, brick and shingles. The river system was one of the most dangerous in the United States and many boats met misfortune by hitting rocks, snags and ferry cables. Other boats ran aground on sandbars or sank due to boiler explosions. It is said that there are more
Erected 2002 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Decatur County Historical Society.
Location. 30° 54.39′ N, 84° 34.934′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is on West Water Street 0 miles west of South Bruton Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker stands by the Flint River in Cheney Griffin Park. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History ( approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Scott Memorial ( approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Decatur County ( approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Hughes ( approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bainbridge Volunteers ( approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers ( approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 667 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 5, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.