Friona in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First Church in City of Friona
George G. Wright donated six lots at this site and the Congregational Church Building Society of New York made a $770.00 construction grant. Friona's first church building, a frame structure with hand-painted, arched windows and a belfry, was completed and dedicated on May 23, 1909. The basement added in 1916 served as center for social activities. After that meetinghouse burned in 1921, this adobe chapel was built. It was used until the congregationalists in 1969 erected a sanctuary on a new site. In 1973, this building was given to the Girl Scouts to be used for their meeting hall and activities and for a “Pioneer Heritage Chapel and Museum”.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4784.)
Location. 34° 38.189′ N, 102° 43.244′ W. Marker is in Friona, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is at the intersection of West 6th Street and Cleveland Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 West 6th Street, Friona TX 79035, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friona Schools ( about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friona ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Friona Women's Clubs ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Parmerton ( approx. 6 miles away); Black Community ( approx. 7.6 miles away); Bovina ( approx. 12.4 miles away); Bovina Cemetery ( approx. 12.4 miles away); Bovina United Methodist Church ( approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friona.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.