Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Weaverville in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Old Courthouse

 
 
The Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
1. The Old Courthouse Marker
Inscription. At the head of Court Street next to the Catholic cemetery, J.F. Chillis in 1852, began building the first Trinity County courthouse. The twenty by sixty structure was three stories in 1853. The Trinity Masonic Lodge bought the third floor from the county for $500. By 1860, the building was deteriorating. In August, 1865, the county bought Henry Hockerís building. In September, 1866, a fire began in the Catholic Church and spread quickly to the old building. John Martin bought the lot November 3, 1866.
 
Erected 1991 by E Clampus Vitus, Trinitarianus Chapter 62.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 40° 44.063′ N, 122° 56.423′ W. Marker is in Weaverville, California, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Center Street on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weaverville CA 96093, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish Corral ( here, next to this marker); Site of First Cabin ( within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity County Courthouse ( within shouting distance of this marker); Clifford Hall
The Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
2. The Old Courthouse Marker
( within shouting distance of this marker); Weaverville Drug Store ( within shouting distance of this marker); I.O.O.F. Hall ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weaverville Basin Gold Discovery Site ( about 300 feet away); Spiral Staircases ( about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
The Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
3. The Old Courthouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement