El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Grandma Anderson's House
This house was built in 1918 at 800½ South Main Street, El Dorado, Kansas, (Gordon's Addition, Lot 5, Block 4) in direct response to the oil boom and the massive amounts of people moving to the area looking for housing. Originally the home was two single-room rentals. Later the wall was opened up and the house was rented as a two room home. This is an excellent example of the type of rental housing that was available to the oil boomers. It also shows the quick thinking of El Dorado citizens, who built rental houses onto the back portion of their lots for additional income.
Grandma Mary Elizabeth Anderson rented and lived in this house from 1931 until the early 1950s. She rented the home from a Mr. Cropson, a radio repairman, who owned and lived in the property in front of this house.
The house was never modernized with running water or plumbing. There was a water hydrant just outside the kitchen door and farther back was the outhouse.
Grandma Anderson was born in 1872 and was 59 years old when she started renting this house. She had nine children from 1893 until 1912. She and her husband, Lewis Anderson, moved to El Dorado in 1919. Her children were all grown and had left home by the time she began renting this two room house. But family visited and stayed with her often in this home.
Erected by Kansas Oil Museum.
Location. 37° 48.954′ N, 96° 50.673′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Kansas, in Butler County. Touch for map. Marker is in the fenced outdoor Kansas Oil Museum exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (U.S. 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oil Field Boom Towns (within shouting distance of this marker); Flare (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Tank Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kansas Oil Museum (about 300 feet away); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (about 300 feet away); Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig (about 300 feet away); Tool Rack (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Also see . . . Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum. (Submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 369 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.