Alachua in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Newnansville Methodist Church Site
was founded in 1822
Location. 29° 48.307′ N, 82° 28.639′ W. Marker is in Alachua, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker can be reached from State Road 235, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between NW 121st Terrace and Hipp Way, at the Newnansville Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Alachua FL 32615, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newnansville Town Site (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Alachua (approx. 1½ miles away); LaCrosse (approx. 5.1 miles away); LaCrosse, Florida (approx. 5.1 miles away); 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952 (approx. 6.2 miles away); Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School (approx. 7.4 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.4 miles away); Railroading In High Springs (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alachua.
Regarding Newnansville Methodist Church Site. During the years 1887-1888 Reverend T. J. Phillips came as the new pastor to the Newnansville Church. The old, wood-frame
Charles Inman, a preacher of great stature and personality, settled the issue at a Revival where a building committee of 3 men was selected and plans were begun for a new church building in Alachua. The building was completed in 1897 at a cost of $1800. While the new church was under construction a Sunday School was established with Mr. L. N. Pierce serving as Superintendent.
Also see . . . The history of the Alachua First United Methodist Church. From the diary of Isaac Boring in 1829:
“In a state of Revival, Methodism began to take on a new look and life, and the people were no longer satisfied with the old log church and they began to complain and call for a new and more modem church building. Fortunately, the local pioneer-preacher, Maxey Dell, owned a sawmill and he generously furnished the (Submitted on June 9, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.