Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marfa in Presidio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort D.A. Russell

 
 
Fort D.A. Russell Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, June 3, 2012
1. Fort D.A. Russell Marker
Inscription. Originally named Camp Marfa, this installation began as a supply post for U.S. Army border patrol stations in 1911. It was a cavalry camp during the years of the Mexican Revolution. Renamed for Civil War general David Allen Russell, it became a permanent Army post in 1929. Deactivated at the end of 1933, it was reopened in 1935 with artillery units. During World War II Fort Russell became an army training camp, and was home to a chemical warfare battalion as well as German prisoners of war. The fort was officially closed in October 1946.
 
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1978.)
 
Location. 30° 18.247′ N, 104° 1.446′ W. Marker is in Marfa, Texas, in Presidio County. Marker is at the intersection of West Madrid Street and Southh Hill Street, on the left when traveling west on West Madrid Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marfa TX 79843, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackwell School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Building 98, Fort D. A. Russell (approx. ľ mile away); Humphris-Humphreys House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hunter Gymnasium
Site of marker at original Fort D.A. Russell entrance gate. image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, June 3, 2012
2. Site of marker at original Fort D.A. Russell entrance gate.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); El Paisano Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Presidio County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); James Buchanan Gillett (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Edward Russell (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marfa.
 
Regarding Fort D.A. Russell. Much remains of Fort D.A. Russell. Many of the quarters for officers and non-commissioned officers are still occupied. The post has a somewhat confusing layout and it is easy to become disoriented. There is no interpretive signage or maps to assist the visitor. There is, however, and excellent book, “Soldiering at Marfa, Texas 1911-1945” by B.T. Davenport [ISBN: 0-7392-0195-6] which is an exceptionally well written account of the fortís history supplemented with photos and superb maps.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, World I
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement