Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Former Home of Henry R. Jackson
Union Army Headquarters, 1865
The mansion was purchased from the Molyneux family in 1885 by General Henry R. Jackson and was the home of that illustrious Georgian until his death in 1898.
Jackson equally distinguished himself as lawyer, soldier, diplomat and poet. He was Judge of the Eastern Circuit of Georgia (1849-1853) and in 1859 was special prosecutor for the United States in the celebrated case of the slave ship “Wanderer”. He fought in the Mexican War and won distinction in the Confederate Army as a Brigadier General. He was Ambassador to Austria (1854-1858) and Minister to Mexico (1885-1886). A gifted poet, the best known of Jackson’s poems is “The Red Old Hills of Georgia.”
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 4.223′ N, 81° 5.703′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near Gaston Street., on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armstrong Junior College (a few steps from this marker); Savannah's Marine Corps Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Comer House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casimir Pulaski (about 400 feet away); Georgia Historical Society (about 400 feet away); Pulaski Monument (about 400 feet away); Congregation Mickve Israel (about 500 feet away); Warren A. Candler Hospital (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Also see . . . Henry R. Jackson. was a railroad executive, banker, and president of the Georgia Historical Society (1875 – 1898) (Submitted on February 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,564 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on February 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on August 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.