Lost Rockville -- 1801 to 1850
Hungerford Tavern was owned by Joseph Wilson from 1786 to 1791 and by his granddaughter, Susan Russell, in the 1840s. Archaeological digs were conducted at this site in 1973 and 1987. Artifacts retrieved from these digs are displayed by Peerless Rockville [in the?] Red Brick Courthouse.
[last paragraph is largely illegible]
Erected by Rockville Historic District Commission.
Location. 39° 5.01′ N, 77° 9.16′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Jefferson Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hungerford Tavern Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hungerford Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. James Anderson House (within shouting distance of this marker); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street (about 300 feet away); Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Red Brick Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 50 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 11, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.