Greencastle in Putnam County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Cannon's Men's Wear 1891 -- 1985
The craftsman was Frank Cannon, Sr. Frank arrived in Putnam County during the Civil War years and in 1891 became one of the founders of a menís clothing store called “ The Bell Clothing Store” located on the west side of the square, partnering with Drew Alspaugh.
At some time in those early years they moved to 10 West Washington Street and a year later moved next door to 8 West Washington Street and continued in business at that location until the closing in 1985. Drew Alspaugh died in 1904. Frank Cannon, Sr. Then took his son John Cannon as a partner and the store was known as “Cannonís Menís Wear” and remained so until the death of Frank Cannon, Sr. In 1916.
At the death of their father, John Cannon and his brother Frank Cannon, Jr. Joined in a partnership to be know as “J. F. Cannon and Company” employing their brother James Cannon as tailor and bookkeeper. Through the efforts of the new partnership they became the leading menís wear clothing store in Putnam County and the surrounding area. This partnership lasted for the remainder of the life of John Cannon when it ended in
As noted in the “Yearly Ledger” of Edgar Prevo another prominent businessman in Greencastle, “Frank (Heavy) Cannon, Jr. Died on March 20, 1949, a good citizen and will be missed by many.”
Frank Cannonís son Ben Cannon with the assistance of his sister Elizabeth Ann continued operating Cannonís Menís Wear enjoying a thriving and prosperous business until a decision was made by Ben to retire and close Cannonís store forever on December 31, 1985. Cannonís will be remembered by many residents as a place to shop receiving the personal attention of dedicated sales people as is noticeably missing in todayís shopping experiences.
Many of the long time clerks of Cannonís will be remembered locally as dedicated loyal employees: Ed Coffman, Fred Snively, Henry Myers: as well as Eula Proffit (Seamstress) and Essie Benefield (Bookkeeper).
Erected by Heritage Preservation Society.
Location. 39° 38.635′ N, 86° 51.814′ W. Marker is in Greencastle, Indiana, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Vine Street and East Washington Street (U.S. 231), on the right when traveling south on South Vine Street. Touch for map. Located on "Heritage Wall". It is on the top row - - second
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eli Lilly & The Civil War (1861–1865 ) (here, next to this marker); Percy Lavon Julian (1899--1975 ) (here, next to this marker); Abraham Lincoln's Biography (here, next to this marker); Eitel's Flowers (here, next to this marker); Julian Family Home (here, next to this marker); Donald J. Cook (1915 - - 2005 ) (here, next to this marker); Women in Greencastle History (here, next to this marker); Prevo 1900 - 1992 (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greencastle.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 11, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 11, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.