Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Most Holy Name
The Jesuits organized Most Holy Name parish in 1920 to serve Ybor City's Italian community. On Christmas 1922, Father Vicente Dente celebrated the first mass at Most Holy Name Church, located in the 2300 block, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The Salesians assumed administration of the parish in 1923, but then, in 1934, transferred authority to the Redemptorists. By the mid-1930s, over 100 parishioners, primarily women, were active with what became known as the "Italian Church."
The Salesian Sisters continued to be responsible for education within the parish. The Sisters, who lived in a convent on the church grounds, opened a nursery school and kindergarten in the church's basement in 1933. The Sisters gradually extended the Most Holy Name Catholic School to higher grades, and the school's facilities were expanded to accommodate more students. In the early 1950s, over 200 children attended Most Holy Name, which by then offered grades kindergarten though eighth grade.
Ybor City's Italian population decreased significantly after World War II, contributing to the demise of Most Holy Name. The school and convent both closed in 1967 and were razed. The final mass at the church was celebrated on June 15, 1975. Although none of its buildings remain, the values and lessons learned in Most Holy Name School and Church were forever
Erected 2010 by The Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council and The Friends of Most Holy Name Church and School.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 27° 57.618′ N, 82° 25.967′ W. Marker was in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker was on East 7th Avenue (La Séptima) west of North 24th Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in the East Ybor neighborhood of Tampa, in the 2300 block of East 7th Avenue, in front of the lot (now vacant) where once stood the Most Holy Name Church and School. Marker was in this post office area: Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Columbia Restaurant (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rough Riders Rode By Here (about 700 feet away); The Krewe of the Knights of Sant' Yago (about 800 feet away); The Coming of the Italians (approx. 0.2 miles away); La Joven Francesa Bakery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mayor Nick C. Nuccio (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ybor Centennial Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
More about this marker.
1. Update about missing marker
The stolen marker was replaced in 2012 by the original sponsors. There are minimal changes in the text.
— Submitted April 28, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
Additional keywords. Roman Catholic
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 956 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on June 12, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on April 28, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 5. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.