Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
(Augusta State University)
Arsenal to the State of
Georgia, soon to be part
of the Confederacy. That
constructed a large shop building
near the eastern wall to house
several functions: Part was a hospital
part was a storehouse, and the remainder
contained a blacksmith shop, tin shop and the harness and equipment department for the field artillery.
By the late
1800s / early 1900s
the shop building
provided storage for
the ordnance as well as
housed a machine shop and
foundry at this time. The
arsenal manufactured cast iron
shells, cavalry equipment and
seacoast targets. Its works also
included reconditioning small arms.
Cast iron scraps and steel were smelted
in the foundry. A small portable brass foundry
made brass castings.
In World War II
the machine shop
workers in the
south wing of the old
reconditioned rifles and small
arms. Cast iron shells were made
in the foundry. In 1969 the college
demolished the north and south wings
of the building for college parking. The
final portion of the building, its
down in the winter of 1971 - 1972.
Location. 33° 28.547′ N, 82° 1.131′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on Katherine Street, on the left. Touch for map. Located on Campus of Augusta State University, a part of the History Walk, campus-wide to commemorate notable history of Augusta State University and the Augusta Arsenal. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Augusta Arsenal 1941 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Indian Trading Path (about 600 feet away); Home of Richard Henry Wilde (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montrose (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. ¼ mile away); Bellevue (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bell at Augusta State University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Augusta State University / Augusta Arsenal-. In 1860, during "Nullification Troubles", the U.S. government re-enforced the arsenal with 22,000 muskets and rifles (Submitted on June 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.