Near Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Etowah and the War
Mark Cooper sold the works in 1862. In the 1863, the Confederacy took over the firm seeking to increase production. As Sherman marched by in 1864, mindful of the war value of iron, he sent troops, who, after a brisk skirmish, burned the plant on May 22. This ended an era -- the works were not rebuilt after the War, as cheaper and better production methods had been found.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-47.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 9.923′ N, 84° 43.811′ W. Marker is near Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker can be reached from Georgia Route 20 Spur one mile from Georgia Route 20 Spur. Touch for map. The marker is just off a walking trail leading from the US Corps of Engineers Allatoona Dam Resource Manager's Office to an overlook above the lake and dam. The Resource Manager's office is at the end of a park road which leads south from the end
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Allatoona (a few steps from this marker); Mark Anthony Cooper's Iron Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Fort (approx. 2.6 miles away); Etowah (approx. 2.7 miles away); Friendship Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Emerson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Federal Trenches (approx. 3½ miles away); The Crow's Nest (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
More about this marker. This marker has been moved more than once in the past 25 years.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mark Anthony Cooper's furnace Marker.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then. Last updated on June 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.