Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Headquarters Site Gen. R.E. Lee
On this site
in an oak grove
from Sept. 15 to
Sept. 18, 1862, stood
Robert E. Lee
Purchased, restored and marked by the
West Virginia Division, United
Daughters of the Confederacy
Unveiled Sept. 17, 1936.
Erected 1936 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 39° 27.329′ N, 77° 45.612′ W. Marker is in Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Shepherdstown Pike (State Highway 34), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in the Lee Headquarters tract of the Antietam National Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Cemetery ( approx. half a mile away); Antietam Station ( approx. half a mile away); Grove House ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Sharpsburg Bluebirds ( approx. 0.7 miles away); General Edward Braddock ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Reformed Cemetery ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Grove Farm ( approx. 0.7 miles away); 1862 Antietam Campaign ( approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Confederate Monuments at Antietam
Also see . . .
1. Headquarters Site Gen. R.E. Lee Monument. National Park Service site detailing the monument. (Submitted on February 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. General Robert E. Lee. The Antietam on the Web entry for General Lee provides links to biographical information as well as Lee's papers pertaining to the Antietam Campaign. (Submitted on February 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,281 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on February 22, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.