Cromberg in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Twenty Mile House
on Quincy-Reno Road
— • —
Restored 1945-47 by
Matthew E and Grace R. Magill
— • —
Present home of
XNGH Henry E. Magill
Erected 1969 by E Clampus Vitus, Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 39° 51.082′ N, 120° 41.669′ W. Marker is in Cromberg, California, in Plumas County. Marker can be reached from Old Cromberg (Cemetery) Road. Touch for map. Continue down Old Cromberg Road past the cemetery. The marker is located on front (back) of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 Old Cromberg Road, Blairsden-Graeagle CA 96103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson, Ross, Tefft and Dempsey Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Vardanega Spring (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sloat Mill Site (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sloat Towne Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Jamison City, Eureka Mine and Mill, Johnstown (approx. Spring Garden (approx. 5.7 miles away); Longboard Ski Races (approx. 5.9 miles away); Mohawk Hotel and Tavern (was approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cromberg.
Also see . . . Twenty Mile House - History. The Twenty Mile House built in 1854 was originally a trading post for local gold miners and a stopping place for teamsters on the Reno-Quincy run. It gained the name Twenty Mile House, as its placement was 20 miles west of Beckworth and 20 miles east of Quincy. A stagecoach could travel 20 miles and the Twenty Mile House “soon went from just a stagecoach stop between settlements, to the center of Cromberg. (Submitted on June 15, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.