The site next to Grace Church marked the changes. The Nickel theater known as Lothrop's gave popular plays, variety performances, and " exhibited freaks." It eventually became the city's first full time movie house. The Nickel was then removed to make way for the E.F. Albee Stock Company Playhouse, which subsequently became RKO Albee as motion pictures displaced vaudeville, musicals, and repertory drama.
During the 1950's and 1960's, as people moved to the suburbs, the lights went out on the motion picture district. the Albee closed in 1970 and was torn down shortly thereafter.
Some theaters, however, were saved from the wrecking ball. In 1973 the Trinity Repertory Company moved into the Lederer theater. Mayor Vincent Cianci Jr. and the Providence Foundation saved the Loew's State in Providence from demolition in 1977. It reopened in 1978 as the Ocean State Performing Arts Center. The revitalization of the arts and entertainment district had begun.
Location. 41° 49.423′ N, 71° 24.932′ W. Marker is in Providence, Rhode Island, in Providence County. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Professional Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wall of Hope (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Puritan and the Indian (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beneficent Congregational Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Repentance for Slavery (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas A. Doyle (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Arcade (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Providence.
Categories. • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 16, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.