Eastport in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Eastport's Old “Main Street”
After the bridge was moved to Sixth Street in 1947, many local businesses closed and the neighborhood remained undeveloped for decades. Ironically, these circumstances helped preserve the historic charm you see today.
Text with main photo: Sam's Corner was a popular neighborhood restaurant, especially for the workers at the nearby Annapolis Yacht Yard. That's Sam Lewnes at the counter in his dapper white jacket and bow tie, sometime in the 1930s.
Text with upper-left photo: Lou's Restaurant was originally Sam's Corner. It is now Lewnes' Steakhouse, owned by Sam's grandson, Charlie.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network, Annapolis Maritime Museum, Four Rivers Garden Club.
Location. 38° 58.326′ N, 76° 28.985′ W. Marker is in Eastport, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Fourth Street 0 miles north of Severn Avenue when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at the end of Fourth Street. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Tale of Three Bridges (here, next to this marker); Visionaries of the 1960s (here, next to this marker); Three Great Boat Yards, One Location (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette’s Encampment (about 700 feet away); Welcome to Eastport (about 700 feet away); The Glass Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Farmhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eastport's Oldest House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastport.
Categories. • 20th Century • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,329 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.