Woodside in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Folger Stable c.1905
Folger Estate Stable Historic District
The stable was built to meet the transportation needs of the family residence nearby (now remodeled and privately owned). It consisted of stalls, tack and harness rooms, carriage room, feed rooms, living quarters for staff, work shop and boiler room, with hay storage on the second floor.
The stable, sold to Martin Wunderlich in 1956 and donated along with 942 acres to the County of San Mateo in 1974, is still used as a horse facility. It serves as a reminder of the "Great Estates" period of the early 1900's in San Mateo County and an example of the continuing importance of equine activities in this area today. The Folger Estate Stable was designed by Arthur Brown Jr. and erected by James A. Folger II in 1905. Owned by the County of San Mateo, the stable and associated structures are listed in the National Register of Historic Places, United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 37° 24.639′ N, 122° 15.689′ W. Marker is in Woodside, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from Woodside Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located just off the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4040 Woodside Road, Redwood City CA 94062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chinese Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); First Saw Mill (approx. half a mile away); Town of Searsville (approx. one mile away); Woodside Store (approx. 1.6 miles away); Our Lady of the Wayside (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Denis Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away); Hallidie Tramway (approx. 2.5 miles away); Portola Primary School (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodside.
Categories. • Animals • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by Mark Aubin of Sunnyvale, California. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2012, by Mark Aubin of Sunnyvale, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clear readable photo of the marker. • Photos of the stable. • Can you help?