Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Atascosa County Courthouse
When a special election resulted in the relocation of the county seat to Jourdanton in 1910, the county officers were first housed in rented quarters. The following year the Gordon-Jones Company began construction on a new courthouse. Completed in 1912, the building was designed by San Antonio architect Henry T. Phelps (1881-1945), who would also design the Atascosa County Jail in 1915.
The two-story brick building has identical entries at each side. Mission Revival-style detail includes curvilinear parapets and occasional Renaissance motifs, accomplished with cast-stone highlights, metal balustrades, and tile roofing. The corners of the building are turned with three-story tower bays, each topped by an open belvedere. Later alterations to the courthouse replaced original windows and installed an elevator opposite the original stairwell. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 28° 55.18′ N, 98° 32.75′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Courthouse Circle Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atascosa County ( within shouting distance of this marker); Martin Abstract Company ( within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Atascosa County Jail ( about 500 feet away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church ( approx. ¼ mile away); Jourdanton ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith ( approx. 0.7 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church ( approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Additional keywords. counties; courthouses
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.