Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Atascosa County Jail
This site was purchased that year from W.M. Abernethy (1851-1931), who had served as County Judge from 1901 to 1912. The architect of the 1912 Courthouse, Henry T. Phelps (1881-1945) of San Antonio, was chosen to supervise erection of the jail. The Southern Structural Steel Company of San Antonio was awarded the $20,000 construction contract. An electic blend of architectural elements was highlighted with crenelated towers and hood molds outlining the windows.
The first floor housed offices and living quarters for Sheriffs and their families, provided from 1916 to 1959. A gallows room was built on the second floor, though its trap door was never sprung for execution. Standard and specialized cells were partitioned on the second and third floors.
Additions were built in 1974, with bricks and detailing carefully matching original patterns. A new jail was built to replace this building in 1982. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 28° 55.24′ N, 98° 32.81′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 711 Broadway, Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atascosa County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martin Abstract Company (about 500 feet away); Atascosa County (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jourdanton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. ¾ mile away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Additional keywords. Jails; prisons
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 454 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.