Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pleasanton First United Methodist Church

 
 
Pleasanton First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
1. Pleasanton First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This congregation was organized in 1857, one year before the city of Pleasanton was founded. The church was established largely through the efforts of early Methodist circuit preachers such as John Wesley DeVilbliss and Augustus C. Fairman, who later was elected County Judge and settled in Pleasanton. The Rev. Thomas B. Ferguson was appointed first pastor to the Methodist congregation in 1858. Early worship services were held outdoors, in private homes, in the log courthouse, and in the first schoolhouse. The fellowship erected its first sanctuary during the 1860s. A second, built during the 1880s at 421 North Main, today is used for the parsonage. The first church building at this site was constructed in 1912-14. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959. In 1969, Pleasanton First United Methodist Church merged with Jacob's Chapel United Methodist Church, a black congregation organized during the 1870s. The Pleasanton church continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders as it provides significant service and leadership to the community. Many descendants of its pioneer members continue to worship here. (1984)
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4057.)
 
Location. 28° 57.77′ N, 98° 
Pleasanton First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 23, 2012
2. Pleasanton First United Methodist Church Marker
29.05′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on N/ Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 N. Main Street, Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rock Schoolhouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (about 700 feet away); Pleasanton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. half a mile away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement