Poteet in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Poteet sold his business to Henry T. Mumme (1870-1947) before 1900. Mumme continued to offer postal service at the store, and in 1910 he and his wife Ida (1869-1942) donated 400 acres of land for a new townsite. Since the area had been referred to as Poteet as a result of the early mail service, the new town was named in honor of Francis Marion Poteet. Mumme moved his store to the new townsite in 1911.
Mumme drilled the town's first artesian water well and is credited with introducing the cultivation of strawberries here. The artesian water, together with the sandy soil of the region, proved ideal for growing the berries. Known statewide for its superior quality strawberries, Poteet has been nicknamed the "Strawberry Capital of Texas."
The town grew steadily after 1910, with the establishment of schools, churches, homes, and businesses. It was incorporated in 1926.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4092.)
Location. 29° 2.18′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 Ave I, Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 4.8 miles away); Battle of Medina (approx. 5.5 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 7 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rossville (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poteet.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 453 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.