Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rossville in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rossville

 
 
Rossville Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
1. Rossville Marker
Inscription. First Scottish community in southwest Texas. Founded 1873 by brothers William F.M. Ross and John C. Ross. Born in north Scotland, they came to Texas in 1867. Here they were awarded a contract to carry U.S. Mail. On the route, they noticed fertile soil and plentiful game of this region. They soon settled here and persuaded other Scottish families to join them.

Rossville came to have a one-room school, cotton gin, post office (established 1877), two grocery stores, a bakery and a saloon; but it declined after being bypassed by the railroad.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4355.)
 
Location. 29° 5.1′ N, 98° 41.06′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2504 half a mile south of Route 476, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rossville Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anchorage Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sand Branch Baptist Church
Rossville Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
2. Rossville Marker
(approx. 4.5 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Poteet (approx. 7.4 miles away); Battle of Medina (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rossville.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement