Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
In 1930, a storm damaged the church building; the congregation dismantled the structure and rebuilt it in the nearby, larger town of Jourdanton. An educational building was dedicated in 1952, and additional units were added in 1953 and 1958. In 1969, members began construction of a new sanctuary on Texas State Highway 97, which was dedicated the next year. Through the years, the congregation has focused on assisting the needy in the community; members have contributed funds and volunteered time to charitable organizations. The congregation has also focused on international issues, bringing
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15888.)
Location. 28° 55.485′ N, 98° 32.105′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Oak Street (State Highway 97) 0.3 miles east of Jourdanton Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1702 Hwy 97 E, Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ralph Roy Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Jourdanton (within shouting distance of this marker); Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Atascosa County (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Atascosa County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Atascosa County Jail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Martin Abstract Company (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.