Plattekill in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Liberty and Washington Streets, Newburgh
—Historic New York —
General Washington came to the farm home of the Hasbrouck family in Newburgh on April 1, 1782. He occupied the house until August 19, 1783, while his troops were encamped at Temple Hill, a few miles away.
These were trying months while a peace treaty was being negotiated with Great Britain. It was a time of restless inaction for the troops: of discipline maintained with difficulty.
It was at Newburgh, among the General Orders of the Day, August 7, 1782, that General Washington proposed the establishment of the Purple Heart.
Adjacent to the Headquarters is a regional museum.
Erected 1963 by State of New York Education Department, Department of Public Works.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 41° 34.648′ N, 74° 5.127′ W. Marker is in Plattekill, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the New York State Thruway in the Plattekill Travel Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: Plattekill NY 12568, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this Newburgh Area (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Newburgh Area (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Washington’s Headquarters (approx. 1.1 miles away); Thomas Machin’s Mint (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gidney Grist Mill (approx. 4½ miles away); The Balmville Tree (approx. 4.9 miles away); Gomez Mill House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Orange County Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.