Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Hamilton County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

“The Burlington Races” 1813

 
 
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
1. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
Inscription. On the morning of September 28, 1813, a powerfully-armed United States fleet comprising ten ships under the command of Commodore Isaac Chauncey appeared off York (Toronto). The smaller British fleet of six vessels, commanded by Commodore Sir James L. Yeo, was in the harbour, but on the approach of the enemy set sail to attack. After a sharp engagement, the British squadron was forced to withdraw toward Burlington Bay where it could take refuge under the batteries on the adjacent heights. A close chase ensued, but by skillful seamanship, Yeo was able to bring his ships through the shallow channel in the sand-bar to the safety of this bay.
 
Erected 1975 by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Ministries of Colleges and Universities.
 
Location. 43° 16.41′ N, 79° 53.229′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ontario, in Hamilton County. Marker is on York Boulevard north of Dundurn Street North, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The historic marker is located in Harvey Park, near the chain link fence that runs along the park's eastern border, across the street from the Hamilton Cemetery, on the Burlington Heights of Hamilton. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 York Boulevard, Hamilton, Ontario L8R, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers.
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
2. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
View of the historic marker, with the park's fencing along the park's eastern border in the background.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burlington Heights 1813 - 1814 ( about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); First Line of Defense ( about 180 meters away); March to Stoney Creek ( about 210 meters away); Defensive Outwork ( approx. 0.4 kilometers away); United Empire Loyalists ( approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Sir John Harvey ( approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Dundurn Castle ( approx. 0.4 kilometers away); a different marker also named Dundurn Castle ( approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
Also see . . .  What really happened? De-bunking the Burlington Bay Sandbar Legend. This is a link to information provided by "The War of 1812 Website." (Submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. War of 1812
 
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
3. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
View of Harvey Park, looking north along York Boulevard, with a view of the historic marker in the distant right background.
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
4. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
A closer view of Harvey Park, looking north, with a view of the historic marker in the right foreground.
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
5. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
A view of Harvey Park, looking south, with a view of the historic marker in the left foreground.
"The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
6. "The Burlington Races" 1813 Marker
View from the backside of the historic marker, looking southwest, across Harvey Park, across the York Boulevard, towards the Hamilton Cemetery on the far side of the street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement