Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Court House and Jail

 
 
Morris County Courthouse site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin
1. Morris County Courthouse site
1770 - 1827 Here stood the Courthouse and jail at the time of the American Revolution. Marked 1904 by the Morristown Chapter D.A.R.
Inscription.
1770 - 1827
Here stood the
Court House
and Jail
at the time of the
American Revolution
Marked 1904 by the
Morristown Chapter
D.A.R.

 
Erected 1904 by Morristown Chapter, Daugthers of the American Revolution.
 
Location. 40° 47.845′ N, 74° 28.878′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on N Park Place (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Baptist Church on the Green (a few steps from this marker); Arnold’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Arnold Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The French are Coming (within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris County Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green - 1715 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Continental Store on the Green (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on the Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
2. Marker on the Morristown Green
The Court House and Jail Marker is just one of many found on the Morristown Green.
Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
3. Morristown Green
This was the location of the Court House and Jail during the American Revolution.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 938 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 23, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement