Stoney Creek in Hamilton County, Ontario — Central Canada
The Battleﬁeld of Stoney Creek
6th June 1813
In memory of 20 good and true King's Men who,
in fighting in defence of their country, died
and were buried on this knoll.
This revised inscription and stone re-dedicated
June 6th 1956
Her Majesty's Army & Navy Veteran's Society of
Erected 1956 by Her Majesty's Army & Navy Veteran's Society of Hamilton.
Location. 43° 13.112′ N, 79° 45.865′ W. Marker is in Stoney Creek, Ontario, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Kings Street West and Battlefield Drive, on the left when traveling east on Kings Street West. Touch for map. This historic marker is located on the opposite side of King Street, and slightly east of, Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Stoney Creek, Ontario L8G, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battlefield House (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Stoney Creek (about 180 meters away); The Nash-Jackson House (about 210 meters away); Their Fame Liveth (approx. 0.2 kilometers Battle of Stoney Creek (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Billy Green Monument (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Hamilton - Scourge Project (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); HMCS Haida - NCSM Haida (approx. 9.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stoney Creek.
More about this marker. In his book, "Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812," Gilbert Collins states, "This impressive monument marks the resting place of soldiers, both British and American, who were interred here during the War of 1812. The monument is on a small knoll where the American cannons were posted during the battle. In 1972 the American Legion placed a marker at the site, which honours U.S. soldiers killed in the War of 1812. The monument is located on King Street near the intersection of Battlefield Drive in the town of Stoney Creek." (page138)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 25, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.