Glenmont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This is the Capital District
Historic New York
The Capital District has long been important as a trading post, military objective and governmental center. Located near the juncture of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, Albany has been the “crossroads” of the northeast since colonial times. The Albany Congress of 1754 was the first major attempt to unite the thirteen original colonies. The area’s strategic importance was proven by the successive attempts of the French and English to capture it during the colonial and revolutionary wars.
Since 1797 Albany has served as the governmental center of New York State. Its large population and economic wealth has made it one of the more important states, permitting its capital to exert national power. New York governors and senators have long been regarded as Presidential timber. Men like Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt have served their political apprenticeship here before stepping into the national arena.
Erected 1967 by State of New York State Education Department, Thruway Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
Location. 42° 35.616′ N, 73° 47.177′ W. Marker is in Glenmont, New York, in Albany County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is located in a parking area on the New York Thruway. Marker is in this post office area: Glenmont NY 12077, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glenn Curtiss Flight (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Van Nassau (approx. 2.7 miles away); Delmar (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Plastic (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort Crailo (approx. 3.4 miles away); Trade Partners Along the Hudson (approx. 3.4 miles away); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (approx. 3½ miles away); Schuyler Mansion (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.