Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stoney Creek in Hamilton County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Nash-Jackson House

 
 
The Nash-Jackson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
1. The Nash-Jackson House Marker
Inscription. Originally located at the north-east corner of king Street East and Nash Road in the city of Hamilton, the house known as the Nash=Jackson House was built in 1818. The property on which the house stood, part of William Gage's original land grant, was deeded to his eldest daughter, Susannah (Gage) Nash, in 1815. William Gage was uncle to James Gage, original owner of what is now Battlefield House Museum.

The Nash-Jackson House, once named Grandview, with its Loyalist Neo-Classic style of architecture, was built adjacent to a one-storey frame structure which was erected in 1794. The later served as a field hospital following the Battle of Stoney Creek on June 6, 1813 and was demolished in 1910.

Significant interior architectural features of the home include the original Adam style mantelpiece and built-in cupboards which flank the fireplace, the early 19th century staircase and the floral wall stencilling. The Classical Revival porticoes were installed in the 1930s.

The Nash-Jackson House was owned and occupied by five generations of the same family. Leone (Nash) Jackson, great-granddaughter of Susannah and Samuel Nash, died in 1996. She had lived in the house all her life, raised three children on the family farm and was a prominent member of the Stoney Creek community.
,br> The Jackson family deeded
The Nash-Jackson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
2. The Nash-Jackson House Marker
View of the historic marker situated in front of the Nash-Jackson House.
the house to the City of Stoney Creek due to its historic and architectural significance. It was moved to Battlefield Park November 7, 1999.
 
Erected 2007 by Hamilton Historical Board.
 
Location. 43° 13.08′ N, 79° 46.024′ W. Marker is in Stoney Creek, Ontario, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from King Street West east of Centennial Parkway South. Touch for map. This historic marker is located at Battlefield Park, along the park's entrance driveway that leads to the parking lot, in front of the Nash-Jackson House, just behind the white picket fence surrounding the front and west side of the structure. Marker is in this post office area: Stoney Creek, Ontario L8G, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Stoney Creek ( within shouting distance of this marker); Battlefield House ( about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Stoney Creek ( about 150 meters away); Their Fame Liveth ( about 150 meters away); Billy Green Monument ( about 210 meters away); The Battlefield of Stoney Creek ( about
The Nash-Jackson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
3. The Nash-Jackson House Marker
View of the Nash-Jackson House with a view of the historic marker to the extreme left of the picture.
210 meters away); Hamilton - Scourge Project ( approx. 3.6 kilometers away); HMCS Haida - NCSM Haida ( approx. 9.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stoney Creek.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
The Nash-Jackson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 10, 2012
4. The Nash-Jackson House Marker
View of the historic marker, extreme left of picture, situated along the roadway entrance to Battlefield Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement