Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schuylerville in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Hardy

 
 
Fort Hardy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 27, 2012
1. Fort Hardy Marker
Inscription.
British Supply Post 1755 – 63
Here Gen. John Burgoyne’s
defeated British troops
in the ruins of the fort
lay down their arms 1777

 
Erected by Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR.
 
Location. 43° 5.956′ N, 73° 34.677′ W. Marker is in Schuylerville, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Ferry Street (New York State Route 29), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schuylerville NY 12871, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. British Army Grounded Arms ( within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Saratoga ( about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Surrender Tree ( about 400 feet away); Deridder Horse Ferry ( about 500 feet away); First Bridge ( about 600 feet away); Articles of Convention ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Earliest Cemetery ( approx. ¼ mile away); Unknown Soldier ( approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schuylerville.
 
Also see . . .  Account of the Battle of Saratoga. (Submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Hardy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 27, 2012
2. Fort Hardy Marker
British General John Burgoyne signed the “Convention of Saratoga” by which he surrendered his forces to American General Horatio Gates, near here on October 17, 1777. This surrender is considered to be the turning point of the American Revolution.
Marker in Schuylerville image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 27, 2012
3. Marker in Schuylerville
Marker at Fort Hardy Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 27, 2012
4. Marker at Fort Hardy Park
The marker, seen on the right, is located at the entrance to Fort Hardy Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement