Newton in Harvey County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1871 Water Well Memorial
Santa Fe engineers were surveying and platting the Newton town site on Section 17 in March 1871. Captain David L. Payne, state legislator from this district, and other early settlers saw the urgent need for domestic drinking water. Captain Payne agreed to supervise the digging of a well in the center of 5th and Main Street intersection.
It was the only domestic drinking water in Newton for several months, and considered the best water for several years thereafter.
The small concrete plaque in the center of this intersection marks the location of the historic well.
Erected by Harvey County Historical Society.
Location. 38° 2.833′ N, 97° 20.695′ W. Marker is in Newton, Kansas, in Harvey County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 5th Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest grounds of the former Santa Fe Railway passenger depot. Marker is in this post office area: Newton KS 67114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Railroad Savings and Loan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Newton Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles Unknown Dead of the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Santa Fe Steam Locomotive #1880 (approx. ¼ mile away); Coastal Defense Cannon (approx. ¼ mile away); Bernhard Warkentin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mennonite Settler (approx. 0.7 miles away); Turkey Red Wheat (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Also see . . .
1. History of Newton, Kansas. (Submitted on June 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Downtown Historic Walking Tour of Newton. (Submitted on June 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.