Fort Meade in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Meade
who later became commanding general
of the Union Forces
during the Civil War.
Headquarters of a military area
during the Seminole Indian War 1849-1858.
Near here were fought several engagements
with the hostiles.
Garrisoned by U.S. Army
and Florida Mounted Volunteer troops.
Erected by the Polk County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 45.32′ N, 81° 47.726′ W. Marker is in Fort Meade, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on 3rd Street Northeast east of North Cleaveland Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of Heritage Park, a Fort Meade city park. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Meade FL 33841, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Memorial (here, next to this marker); The W. Henry Lewis House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Meade Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Florida 2000 Center of Population Willoughby Tillis Battle Monument (approx. half a mile away); Historic Kissengen Spring (approx. 4.7 miles away); Homeland School (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Meade.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the State of Florida.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 522 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.