Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Garards Fort in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Garard's Fort

 
 
Garard's Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 30, 2012
1. Garard's Fort Marker
Inscription. Site of frontier refuge in Revolutionary War. Station of a small detachment of Virginia militia in 1977, when this area was claimed as part of Monongalia County, Virginia. Near here, on May 12, 1782, the wife and three children of the noted Baptist minister, Rev. John Corbly, were killed while on their way to church; two of Corbly's other children were wounded in the same Indian attack but survived.
 
Erected 1958 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 39° 48.747′ N, 80° 0.804′ W. Marker is in Garards Fort, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of Garards Fort Road (Pennsylvania Route 21) and Greene Lakes Road, on the right when traveling west on Garards Fort Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Garards Fort PA 15334, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rev. John Corbley (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Garard's Fort (approx. 0.9 miles away); Greene County Coal Miners Memorial (approx. 3.5 miles away); Preserving the 1910 Landscape (approx. 5 miles away);
Garard's Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 30, 2012
2. Garard's Fort Marker
Monongahela River (approx. 5 miles away); Friendship Hill (approx. 5 miles away); Old Glassworks (approx. 5.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Glassworks (approx. 5.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Garard Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 30, 2012
3. Fort Garard Stone Marker
Fort Garard
Built about 1774, East of this
marker, 180 rods.
The Corbly Massacre took place
49 rods north, May 10, 1782.
Erected by
John Corbly Chapter, D.A.R.
1923
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 566 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement