Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond, Estonia
[The Great Guild]
—PIKK 17 —
Estonian Text : …
English Text :
The Great Guild, which was an organisation for major merchants and dealt with international trade, had an official building built in 1407-17. The basements and walls of the dwelling that was situated there in the 14th century was partially used. A double-naved festive hall was vaulted in 1410. The hall had air heating and a balcony for musicians, as well as a staircase that led to the bridal chamber. The front door knockers are lion heads (1430), left of which bears the text, “God bless everyone who is in this house and who will come here.”
The great hall was divided by a separating wall built in 1613. A stone archway which led to the excise chamber has been preserved since 1551. The separating wall is still present and is decorated with Gothic Revival -style ornaments and the Guild’s coat of arms. The hatch doors next to the archway opened to the popular wine cellar “Sweet pit”.
In the 19th century, the Great Guild carried out the tasks of the stock market. The Estonian History Museum has been situated here since 1952
Erected by City of Tallinn.
Location. 59° 26.296′ N, 24° 44.72′ E. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Pikk Street, Tallinn, Harjumaa Maakond 10123, Estonia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mustpeade Maja ( about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Tallinn Town Hall - Anno 1404 ( about 120 meters away); The Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn ( about 120 meters away); Residence of Konstantin Päts ( approx. 0.3 kilometers away); British Royal Navy in the Estonian War of Independence ( approx. half a kilometer away); Toompea Loss ( approx. half a kilometer away); Polish Submarine "ORZEŁ" - September 1939 ( approx. half a kilometer away); Mälestusmärk “Katkenud Liin” / “Broken Line” ( approx. 0.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallinn.
Additional keywords. Eesti Ajaloomuuseum [Estonian History Museum]
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 1, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.