Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Douglas in Coffee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church

Birthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association

 
 
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
1. Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. This church was organized in 1857. The first sanctuary, made of logs, was situated near the still-present old well. A number of Coffee County’s prominent citizens were early members of the church and are buried within the cemetery, including William Dent, Daniel Gaskins, Sr., Franklin Ward and Thomas H. Dent. In 1875, the church became the founding location of the Smyrna Baptist Association, currently comprised of thirty-nine churches. The existing sanctuary was constructed c. 1905. The Sunday School rooms were moved on site and attached to the sanctuary in 1954.
 
Erected 2000 by Georgia Historical Society and Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church. (Marker Number 34-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 31.746′ N, 82° 44.55′ W. Marker is near Douglas, Georgia, in Coffee County. Marker is at the intersection of Sand Hill Road and Otters Circle, on the left when traveling west on Sand Hill Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2212 Sand Hill Road, Douglas GA 31533, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tri - Hi - Y International
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
2. Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker
( approx. 6.5 miles away); Coffee County Confederate Monument ( approx. 6.5 miles away); Coffee County ( approx. 6.5 miles away); a different marker also named Coffee County ( approx. 6.5 miles away); Raymond-Richardson Aviation School ( approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
3. Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
4. Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Built c. 1905
Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Original Well image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 30, 2012
5. Sand Hill Missionary Baptist Church Original Well
The original well, and site of the original log church, are on the opposite side of Sand Hill Road from the present church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement